Household Supplies –
Boric Acid I.P., available in a 20 gm package, is a versatile chemical compound with a wide range of applications. Also known as hydrogen borate, boracic acid, and orthoboric acid, it is recognized as a weak, monobasic Lewis acid of boron. This product finds its utility in various domestic and medicinal contexts.
Uses and Applications
- Insecticidal Properties: Boric Acid I.P. is effective as an insecticide against pests like cockroaches, ticks, ants, fleas, and silverfish. It’s a popular choice for pest control in residential and commercial settings.
- Preservative for Food Grains: It serves as a preservative for rice and other food grains, helping to extend their shelf life and maintain quality.
- Antibacterial and Antiseptic Qualities: This compound is used as an antibacterial and antiseptic agent for minor cuts and burns. It’s also utilized in dressing wounds, thanks to its ability to prevent bacterial and fungal infections.
- Skin Care: Boric Acid I.P. contains borax and glycerin, making it useful in treating skin conditions like acne. Borax possesses antibacterial properties, while glycerin hydrates the skin and aids in repairing damage due to acne and dryness.
- Relief in Itching and Irritation: It provides relief from itching and irritation, and is also used in treating conditions like vaginal discharge and itching.
- Household Cleaning and Deodorizing: Boric Acid is used to remove stains, deodorize bathroom fixtures, trash cans, and toilets, thereby serving as a practical solution for maintaining cleanliness and hygiene in homes.
Safety and Handling
- Boric Acid I.P. should be handled with care as it may cause respiratory tract irritation and central nervous system effects. Ingestion can lead to gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Therefore, it’s advised to use personal protective equipment during handling and to wash off immediately with plenty of water if skin contact occurs.
Boric Acid I.P. 20 gm is a multi-purpose compound beneficial in both household and medical settings. Its insecticidal, preservative, antibacterial, antiseptic, and skin care properties make it a versatile and valuable product. However, it’s crucial to handle it with caution due to its potential health risks. This product’s diverse applications make it a practical addition to any home or medical kit.